The developer of the planned Muslim community center and mosque near ground zero hopes to finance the bulk of the $140 million project using instruments developed to allow many Muslim investors to comply with religious prohibitions on interest.
- Earnings Results: Carnival books first post-COVID profit but stock dives after outlook disappointsCarnival's stock fell in choppy trading Friday, after the cruise operator booked its first quarterly profit since before COVID, but provided a downbeat outlook.
- The Fed: Fed’s Williams says interest rates ‘at, or near peak.’ But they won’t be coming down soonThe chief of the New York Fed said a key U.S. interest rate is "at, or near, the peak level," but borrowing costs will also have to remain high for "some time."
- : Psst: Here’s why Google’s antitrust trial against the Department of Justice isn’t being talked about muchThe public is barred from listening to the 10-week nonjury trial, and reporters often encounter a courtroom sealed to the public.
- The Tell: 4 reasons oil prices are surging toward $100 a barrelOil futures went on a tear in the third quarter, contributing to volatility in global financial markets. Here are the main drivers.
- FA Center: U.S. dollar strength isn’t why some companies’ quarterly earnings will be weakThe dollar may be a convenient whipping boy, but the blame game is hardly a profitable investment strategy.
- Living With Climate Change: Treasury issues first-ever report detailing costly climate-change strain on U.S. householdsTreasury Dept. release offers data and resources as millions of Americans face climate change-linked insurance gaps, lost wages, utility spikes and new illness.
- : Biden administration moves to try student-debt cancellation againOfficials released details suggesting the scope of the challenges they're hoping to address with a new debt-relief plan
- : Here’s how a government shutdown can cause a major financial crisisFrom feeding Americans to financial security, a lot could go wrong in the event of a shutdown.
- Outside the Box: Government shutdown looms: Here’s how to help preserve your investment portfolio. Vanguard financial adviser: Remember your long-term financial plan and focus on factors you can control.
- Washington Watch: U.S. government shutdown: Here’s how it could affect you, from food aid to getting your passportHere's what would close and what would stay open in the event of a partial government shutdown starting on Sunday, and what services would be affected.