Masraf Al Rayan got the approval by its extra ordinary general assembly to acquire an important share in a commercial bank in Libya. It now needs the nod of the Qatari and Libyan authorities before it can be a reality. The acquisition of the anonymous Libyan bank is part of the Masraf Al Rayan’s plan to pursue diverse investment opportunities. According to director Dr Hussain Ali al-Abdulla of Al Rayan, the Libyan bank is poised to be converted into an Islamic bank. Moreover, Masraf Al Rayan continues its efforts to acquire a large share in Islamic Bank of Britain.
- Mark Hulbert: Why the 2020s could favor market-timers over buy-and-hold U.S. stock investorsInternational stocks, gold and bonds may be a better bet for the next decade.
- : Tesla must control costs or stock will ‘get crushed like a soufflé under a sledgehammer!’ Elon Musk reportedly saysTesla Inc. Chief Executive Elon Musk has reportedly warned employees that the company needs to focus on maintaining profits and reducing costs, or else its stock will get crushed.
- MarketWatch First Take: Salesforce’s deal for Slack creates a bigger threat to MicrosoftWith a $27.7 billion deal to buy Slack Technologies Inc. -- its biggest acquisition yet -- Salesforce.com Inc. is poised to become an even bigger threat to Microsoft Corp. in the world of corporate software. But it could be its toughest merger yet.
- Earnings Results: Salesforce confirms $27.7 billion deal to buy Slack, while results top Street estimatesSalesforce.com Inc. shares declined in the extended session Tuesday after the cloud-based customer relationship-management company said it would acquire Slack Technologies Inc. in a deal worth $27.7 billion and topped Wall Street estimates for the quarter.
- Health-care workers and nursing-home residents should be the first to get COVID-19 vaccine, CDC committee says‘We are acting none too soon,’ one committee member said Tuesday.
- Capitol Report: Larry Summers says deficit reduction would be ‘catastrophic,’ argues for new government debt yardstickAn all-star panel of economists implored Congress to pass a major new coronavirus stimulus package, with former U.S. Treasury Secretary Larry Summers making the argument that Washington politicians should become much more comfortable with large deficits and a growing national debt.
- : Why the pandemic just earned some NBA players millions of extra incomeOne NBA team is benefiting from a big tax break related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NewsWatch: Salesforce to acquire Slack in $27.7 billion deal, while results top Street estimatesSalesforce.com Inc. shares declined in the extended session Tuesday after the cloud-based customer relationship-management company said it would acquire Slack Technologies Inc. in a deal worth $27.7 billion and topped Wall Street estimates for the quarter.
- Earnings Results: Box shares dip despite rise in quarterly salesBox Inc. shares initially dipped 7% in after-hours trading Tuesday after it announced third-quarter results roughly in line with analyst projections.
- Outside the Box: Look for the government to force boards to diversify if companies won’tCorporate boardrooms must reflect America by including more women and people of color.