The Canadian life insurer InSun Life Financial c. (SLF) has forged an alliance with Khazanah Nasional Berhad (Khazanah) to jointly acquire 98% of CIMB Aviva Assurance Berhad, and CIMB Aviva Takaful Berhad. The remaining 2%will be retained by CIMB Group…
- : Tyre Nichols, George Floyd and police brutality: Time for a public-union reckoning?Police unions are top of mind, says Philip Howard, but all labor organizing within the public sector—teachers and transit workers included—needs rethinking.
- Key Words: California reparations push needs to be a ‘game-changer,’ author of bill saysCalifornia Secretary of State Shirley Weber spoke to the state's groundbreaking reparations task force Friday at the beginning of a meeting in San Diego.
- Earnings Outlook: AMD earnings face even more scrutiny after ‘astonishingly bad’ Intel outlookAdvanced Micro Devices Inc. gets to show Wall Street in the coming week if it "certainly" did end 2022 in a better place.
- : S&P downgrades Bed Bath & Beyond, says beleaguered retailer has ‘insufficient funds’ to repay its financial obligations“We expect the company will experience a general default and pursue a comprehensive debt restructuring,” says S&P Global Ratings.
- : Tech stocks are having their best January in decades — here’s why that may not be a good signTechnology stocks are on quite a tear to start 2023, but that could actually be an ominous signal.
- The Ratings Game: American Express stock enjoys best day since 2020 after earnings show strong spending in holiday quarterAmerican Express Co. exceeded $50 billion in annual revenue last year, buoyed by continued strong spending levels among its customer base
- Market Snapshot: U.S. stocks end higher, tech-heavy Nasdaq scores fourth straight week of gains as Fed meeting loomsU.S. stocks end higher, with the technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite leading the way up, as investors assessed fresh inflation data.
- The Moneyist: ‘We just want this to be settled’: My sister-in-law emptied my late mother-in-law’s home. How do we stop our family from pillaging her estate?‘Do we, given that we are family, have a legal right to access the home? And if there is no outstanding loan on the car, can it be released?’
- : ‘Timing couldn’t be worse’: Inflation is easing, but more people are using credit cards for unexpected expenses — and the next Fed meeting will raise borrowing costsFed watchers expect another 25 basis point rate increase next week.
- In One Chart: How to get a 6% return in bonds this year, according to GuggenheimThis straightforward strategy could get investors a return of nearly 6% in the bond market this year, according to Guggenheim Partners.